Soar Big Walker Mountain, Virginia
Jim Bogle's Premier Flying Site
How far do you want to go?
Big Walker Mountain Sky Pirates
Join the Yahoo Soar Big Walker Group for the latest info, flight plans and discussions.
- Faces NW (flyable W to N)
- Steep and wide slope launch, suitable for hang gliders and paragliders
- 900' elevation above LZ, ~5:1 glide
- Large manicured LZ with up-slope landings in all directions, and two flat areas for wheel landings.
The site has three port-a-johns, picnic tables, free firewood, a firepit, free camping electricity, running water and a heated shower.
- H-3/P-3 required, although experienced H-2/P-2 can fly in the right conditions and with an experienced local mentor.
- Must be current USHPA member, and fly with helmet and reserve parachute.
- Annual dues are $100.
- GPS: N37.13317047973985, W80.8973991620129
- On I-77 in Virginia, take exit 52 onto Route 42 at Bland, Va. Travel East on Rt 42 for 10 miles then take a right fork on Rt 738. Follow Rt 738 for 3.7 miles then take a left on State Rte 670 (Mt Zion Rd). The LZ will be 0.5 miles on the left, and Jim Bogle's house is across the road from the LZ.
- Jim's phone number: (276) 688-4969
- Mail: 472 Mt Zion Rd; Bland, VA 24315
- Detailed Directions and Maps
Sweet evening air
Big Walker's landowner, Jim Bogle - retrieving a glider with his special cart
The Amish are frequent spectators
Big Walker USHPA Magazine Article - appeared in August 2015 issue
of the magazine.
Building the Big Walker Launch - in 2003 the pilot community came
together to build the current launch.
It required a substantial investment of cash and labor. This is a pdf copy of a printed
photo book presented to Jim Bogle (large file - 60+ MB)
(updated July 12, 2018)